Expand Your Knowledge - Strengthen Your Patient Care
Stay up-to-date with the latest in evidence-based, clinical best practices through the award-winning, peer-reviewed AORN Journal. Available in timely, easy-to-read print, electronic, and mobile formats.
New: AORN Journal CE contact hours are now FREE to AORN members.
January 2018 Issue
Special Issue: Pre-AORN Global Surgical Conference & Expo 2018
This January issue features special pre-conference content, including candidate biographies and election statements, the exhibitor list, interviews with featured educational session speakers, and more! In addition, the issue contains articles on evidence-based strategies for implementing the Universal Protocol, factors contributing to perioperative medication errors and strategies to decrease those errors, a postprocedure tool for improving OR communication and performance, and additional topics.
CE Articles: FREE to AORN members!
- Factors Contributing to Perioperative Medication Errors
- Back to Basics: The Universal Protocol
- Clinical Issues—January 2018
- Assessing Use Errors Related to the Interface Design of Electrosurgical Units
- Implementing a Perioperative Nursing Student Summer Internship
- A Postprocedure Wrap-up Tool for Improving OR Communication and Performance
The February 2018 Issue Preview
The February 2018 issue features articles on improving performance measures with perioperative analytics; implementing a cardiac skills orientation and simulation program; perioperative nurse perspectives on intraoperative errors; the effect of prebiotics, probiotics, and synbiotics on infection after colorectal cancer surgery; and more!
AORN Journal Receives Its First Impact Factor
The AORN Journal has been included in Clarivate Analytics’ 2017 Journal Citation Reports® and has received its first-ever Journal Impact Factor. The Impact Factor is based on impact and influence metrics, along with citation data from the Web of Science, and measures a journal’s influence in the scientific community. This is an incredibly exciting achievement that raises the Journal’s standing in scholarly literature.
Introducing Journal Essentials
On-the-go just got easier with Journal Essentials - our new digital supplement to the AORN Journal. Providing a snapshot view of each month’s Journal articles, this great new resource delivers one page summaries of articles considered essential reading for perioperative practice!
Check out this month’s edition.
AORN Journal Writers Contest Award Winners
The AORN Journal Writers Contest Awards recognize authors of the highest-quality AORN Journal articles. All articles published in the Journal in 2016 were eligible. Winning articles were chosen based on points awarded by Journal editors and Editorial Board members. Congratulations to our winners!
The 2017 AORN Journal Writers Contest winners are:
- “Pressure Ulcers: Factors Contributing to Their Development in the OR” by Dawn Engels, MSN, RN, CNS, CWOCN, CWCN-AP; Melody Austin, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Laurie McNichol, MSN, RN, CNS, GNP, CWOCN, CWON-AP; Jennifer Fencl, DNP, RN, CNS-BC, CNOR; Sat Gupta, PhD; and Haseeb Kazi, MD (March)
- “Big Data and Perioperative Nursing” by Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI; and Jessica J. Peterson, PhD-C, RN, CRNA (October)
- “Preoperative Screening for Sleep-Disordered Breathing in Children: A Systematic Literature Review” by Erin E. Bauer, DNP, CRNA; Rebecca Lee, DNP, CRNA; and Yasmine N. Campbell, DNP, CRNA (December)
AORN Journal CE Articles
Stay Current, Meet Requirements, Earn CEs
Searching for quality education? Preparing for recertification? AORN Journal Continuing Education (CE) articles feature a variety of perioperative topics, from sterilization and guideline implementation to prevention of sentinel events and infection prevention, as well as online evaluations with immediate test results!
Contribute to the AORN Journal
Write for the AORN Journal
Help patients through authorship — start writing for the AORN Journal. Get the resources you need to get started today including a list of suggested topics, author guidelines, a submission checklist, and more.
Peer Review for the AORN Journal
Help improve the quality of content in the AORN Journal by serving as a peer reviewer. Access the resources you need to get started today, including tutorials, guidelines, and more.